Friday, August 25, 2017

Class Review - AJS - August 2017


Art Journaling Saturday

So we started a new "thing" this year called Art Journaling Saturday.  Lisa and I had been asked late last year if we had an art journaling group and were embarrased to say "no".  It got me to thinking. Uh oh,.....  I know, scary! Right?

I mulled it over for a while.  A long while.  I wanted to do it right.  And in February we had our very first Art Journaling Saturday.  26 Brave Souls joined us for what has become a fun and amazing journey into art journaling.

So just what is "art journaling"?, you ask.

It is a journey of exploration, art play time, rewarding and disappointing at times.... but it is exciting.  In a nutshell art journaling is playing with art products in a blank book of art paper - one that you buy or one that you make. You play with new products and new techniques.  You try new things. Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails.  But it never disappoints because you always learn something.  And now we have learned that sharing the journey with friends - new and old - is rewarding and fun.

So, with all that in mind, I invite you to take a look at some of the art that was created in August's Art Journaling Saturday.

Lisa and I create a page in our journals based on a product we want to explore or a technique we want to try.  One month Lisa guides and the next I guide.  August was my month and here is the page I put out for a sample....

It is a 2 page spread.  The butterfly is split down the middle.  The left half is on a top page that is torn where the butterfly is split.  The other half of the butterfly rests on the second page.  It was something I had seen on Pinterest (who doesn't like to find inspiration there!?) and I really loved the idea.  The second thing I wanted to explore were the Tim Holtz stains.  They've been around a long time and I personally hadn't used them in several years.  Out they came and the fun began.  I do like the soft watercolor look you can get with them.  I think I'll be using them more in the future.

So that was my page and here is some of the art other brave souls created in their session.....








I think it was a succesful day.  I love all the different colors chosen and the different images the artists chose to use.  

If you would like to join us, we have an Art Journaling Saturday once a month. All you need is the willingness to try and an art journal (homemade or purchased).  We supply most of the art products need and the materials fee is a reasonable $15.  There are 2 sessions offered - 10 am OR 2 pm and each session lasts up to 3 hours.  

I hope you'll think about joining us for fun and laughter (yes, we laugh regularly) and lots of ooohs and aaaaahhhs.  And remember to.....

"Let the Art Out of Your Heart and Create Every Day"


No comments: